Looks like this event has already ended.
Check out upcoming events by this organizer, or organize your very own event.
4-H/FFA Youth Plant Project and Auction Workshop - 9/22/12
Saturday, September 22, 2012 from 8:30 AM to 12:30 PM
Palmetto, United States
This is where FFA and 4-H members can register for the 2012-2013 Youth Plant Auction Workshop.
This workshop will help exhibitors select, grow, maintain, exhibit and auction their plants.
The workshop will be begin at 8:30 on Saturday Sept 22, 2012 at the Manatee County Extension Office
Please note that all Exhibitors must be accompanied by an adult.
Here are links to Official Rules (coming soon - they haven't been finalized), Important Dates, and copies of the handouts from the class (coming soon)
Please sign up for either the Green Track or the Yellow Track.
Each track contains exactly the same classes. Do not sign up for both tracks.
To ensure we have enough room, please tell us how many people will be coming with you.
When you register at the event, you will receive a schedule of classes for that day.
Registration will begin at 8:30 am. Classes will begin at 9:00 am.
Classes in this year's workshop include:
Welcome and Introduction – Powell – Kathy Oliver
- Kathy will offer these handouts - How to Grow Plants that Rock, Rulebook, & Record Books
Selecting & Growing Healthy Plants – Powell - Joy Derksen. Joy will cover:
- Plant Selection - What to look for in a healthy plant, plant varieties good to show in January's show, types of plants that are easy to grow, plant species to avoid, and how to find information about your plant, including correct botanical name and cultivar/variety.
- Watering – water soil not leaves, water thoroughly so roots grow deep, why morning watering is better than late evening, how much and how often to water based on plant needs (do your homework ->research plant).
- Weeding – why weeding is needed, how to weed properly and more.
- Pruning - Here, Joy will stress safety, and include the why and how of pruning.
- Maintenance & Light requirements: You'll need to do a bit of research to discover what type of light and maintenance your plants will need, including cold protection.
Integrated Pest Management: Tackling Pests and Diseases – Greenhouse/Garden - Kathy Oliver.
Kathy will cover:
- Scouting for pests, Insect ID, how to tell the difference between good and bad bugs, the pest, signs and symptoms to look for on your plants, why IPM is the best way to control pests, methods of pest and disease control, and of course, pesticide safety
Online Registration for Plant Show/Sale – Kendrick Auditorium - Dave Palmer
- Dave will walk you step-by-step through the process of registering for this event. You will also need to list each of your lots of plants. To do this you'll need to have some information such as scientific and common names, pot size and quantity.
The Scoop on Soils, Potting & Fertilizing – Powell – Emil Manzo Emil will talk about:
- Soils - What makes a good soil.
- Potting – plants must be potted up prior to tagging, pot sizes, choosing and using commercial potting mixes and containers, the importance of using a well drained mix and the proper container, how to pot up a plant - not too deep or too high, etc.
- Fertilizers – Types, analysis, READ LABEL for rates, etc., how to use, safe handling.
Showmanship & Marketing – Kendrick Auditorium - Diana Smith
- Diana will cover everything you need to know to market and show your plants.